The super popular Aldi red bag breaded chicken that you know and love is even better when you make it in your air fryer. It’s easier than frying on the stove, faster than the oven, and it goes from the freezer to the table in minutes. What more can you ask for?
How to Cook Aldi Red Bag Chicken in Your Air Fryer
If you ever shop at Aldi, chances are you’ve heard about their “red bag” chicken or “RBC” — Kirkwood brand frozen breaded chicken breast fillets that come in … you guessed it … a red bag.
They have something of a cult following, and I can definitely see why. The chicken itself is good quality, the breading is light and crispy, and they aren’t seasoned super heavily, which means they’re really versatile and can be used in all sorts of recipes.
Plus they’re really affordable, clocking in at about $1-$1.50 per chicken breast ($6 per bag).
The cooking directions on the package call for baing the chicken in the oven for 40 minutes, but I’ve found that making it in the air fryer is so much faster, and it comes out crispier!
If you’re a fan of crispy chicken breast fillets, you have to try it!
What you’ll love about this method:
- Super Quick: Cook the chicken straight from the freezer, no thawing required
- Less Oil: Healthier than deep frying, with less mess
- Versatile: Perfect to use it in all of your favorite recipes, like my super easy air fryer chicken katsu
How to make frozen breaded chicken breasts in the air fryer
To make the best air fryer breaded chicken from frozen, we’re going to ignore the instructions on the bag and do our own thing.
First, spray the chicken on both sides with your favorite cooking spray. This will help make it extra crispy and will give it a little more of that classic fried flavor.
Place the chicken in your air fryer basket in a single layer.
Cook the chicken at 370ºF for 10 minutes. Then, flip them chicken breasts over and cook for another 2-3 minutes or until thoroughly heated though. The internal temperature should reach 165ºF.
Depending on the size of your air fryer, you might only be able to cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts in at a time. That’s ok — making a second batch if you need it is super easy and is even faster since your air fryer will already be preheated! If you’re making a second batch, set the first timer for 7 minutes.
Use frozen breaded chicken in your favorite recipes
I love using these air fryer chicken breasts as a shortcut for weeknight cooking. Some of my favorite ways to enjoy them are:
- On a sandwich (especially a Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich)
- Drizzled with homemade katsu sauce or teriyaki sauce over rice
- Tossed with Buffalo sauce and served over a salad
- Topped with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice, like a chicken schnitzel or Milanese
- As the base for super fast chicken Parmesan
- With an Eggo for a take on chicken and waffles
- Sliced and tucked inside a wrap or tacos
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I use other brands of chicken?
Yes, as long as the frozen chicken is pre-cooked (raw chicken will take longer at a lower temperature). Check the bag to make sure it says “fully cooked.”
I like making Tyson frozen breaded chicken fillets in my air fryer. They have a version that’s specifically made for the air fryer! The instructions say to fry them at 300ºF, but I like to cook them at 370º so they come out crispier. Also, I do find that the Tyson fillets seasoned more heavily than Aldi’s and therefore aren’t quite as versatile
Frozen Breaded Chicken Breast in Air Fryer
- 2 frozen breaded chicken fillets
- cooking spray
- Lightly spray both sides of the chicken with your favorite cooking spray.
- Place the chicken in your air fryer in a single layer. Make sure to leave a little bit of room around the chicken breasts, so the air can circulate around the basket.
- Cook at 370ºF for 10 minutes. Flip the chicken breasts over and cook for another 2-3 minutes, or until crisp and heated through. The chicken should reach an internal temperature of 165ºF.
- Enjoy in all of your favorite recipes!
1 thought on “How to Make Aldi Red Bag Chicken in the Air Fryer”
Thanks for the recipe. We had amazing chicken sandwiches from the air fryer. Also made Mrs. T’s pierogies with carmelized onions in the air fryer. Was nice to not have a big mess to clean up! Four star!