The perfect departure from the usual breakfast routine, these green chile breakfast burritos loaded with potatoes and chorizo are as flavorful as they are filling. This freezer-friendly burrito will have you out the door and ready to tackle the day in no time!
Kickstart your morning with a Meal Prep Breakfast Burrito
I’m always on the lookout for make-ahead breakfast recipes that are loaded with delicious flavor. This chorizo breakfast burrito is a winner! With just a little time on the weekend, I can have a freezer full of meal prep burritos ready for those busy weekday mornings.
This meal prep burrito recipe gives my morning routine a much-needed upgrade. The combination of eggs, smokey chorizo, and potatoes keeps me full until lunchtime while green chile salsa and cheddar cheese takes the flavor over the top.
It’s so easy to grab one from the freezer and either pop it in the microwave while I’m getting dressed or throw it in my bag to reheat when I get to the office. They also make a convenient lunch when I don’t have anything else prepped to pack.
I just know you’re going to love these flavorful breakfast burritos as much as I do!
Ingredients needed for chorizo and potato breakfast burritos
These burritos are big on flavor, but the ingredients needed to make them are pretty simple. To make them, you’ll need:
- Eggs. Scrambled eggs make up the bulk of the filling for this protein-packed breakfast.
- Cream (or Milk). Just a splash to mix with your eggs to make them nice and fluffy. Cream is best, but whatever you have in the fridge is fine. I’ve even used unsweetened almond milk!
- Loose Chorizo. I used loose Mexican Chorizo which you can find in the fresh sausage section of your supermarket. If you don’t have any on hand, check the freezer case since it’s often sold frozen as well. In a pinch, you can use ground pork combined with chorizo seasoning and a splash of red wine vinegar.
- Potatoes. If you’ve never added home fried to your breakfast burrito, you’re missing out! A little bit of diced Russett potato gives you that starchy flavor with minimal effort. (If you have leftover air fryer sweet potato fries, chop them up and use them in place of potatoes. Yum!)
- Green Chile Salsa. Green salsa pairs beautifully with eggs. I love Trader Joe’s salsa verde, but feel free to swap in your favorite brand.
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese. A little bit of pre-shredded cheddar cheese rounds out the flavor of these burritos. For the best meltability, I like Tillamook or Sargento creamery. They both have a great sharp flavor with a deliciously creamy texture.
- Flour Tortillas. Finally, you’ll need some burrito-sized flour tortillas to wrap everything up in. This recipe is pretty flexible, as long as the tortillas are soft and pliable. I actually used Mission carb balance tortillas in the photos throughout this post!
How to make meal prep breakfast burritos
Making a batch of hearty make-ahead breakfast burritos is so easy. You’ll love having them ready when you wake up on Monday morning! Below, I’ll go through the steps on how to make these tasty little bites as well as some tips on freezing them so they last even longer.
Make a breakfast scramble with chorizo and potatoes
Start by preparing the filling, which is really just a breakfast scramble! Brown the chorizo in a large skillet, then cook the potatoes in the chorizo grease. YUM!
Add in the eggs and scramble everything together until the eggs are just set. Remember you’ll be reheating these later, so you don’t want to overcook them. I err on the side of slightly undercooked so they don’t dry out.
Add the fillings to the tortillas and wrap everything up
Spoon the filling onto your tortillas and top with some salsa and cheese.
You want to be sure to wrap the burritos tightly before freezing so that all of the ingredients stay together when reheating. To make this easier, be sure not to overstuff them–about a quarter cup of filling is all you need!
Make sure to place the filling in the center of the tortilla, with plenty of room around the edges. Fold the top and bottom edges of the tortilla toward each other, covering the filling about 1/3 of the way. (See photo below)
Hold those two sides in place while bringing the right side completely over the filling. Use your hands to pull the filling toward the right as you fold. This will help keep everything nice and tight! Finally, roll the burrito over toward the left to seal the fourth side. Once you get the hang of it, it’s pretty quick work!
Give them a quick sear.
Searing the burritos helps seal them shut and gives the tortilla a nice toasty flavor. It only needs a few seconds on each side!
Prep the green chile breakfast burritos for freezing.
Let the burritos cool completely, then wrap them in plastic or foil and pop them into the freezer for up to 3 months. I place the individually wrapped burritos inside a ziplock bag to keep them neat and organized and make them easier to find when I want one.
These burritos will also keep for up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Love make-ahead breakfast recipes? Try my applesauce quick bread!
Hungry for more Mexican-inspired recipes? Try my sheet pan steak fajitas!
Need a tasty cocktail? Meal prep margaritas are the answer!
Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos with Chorizo and Potato
- 8 eggs
- ⅓ cup half and half
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces bulk chorizo
- 1 Russett potato diced
- ¼ cup green salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 8 burrito-sized tortillas
- Add the eggs and half and half to a lrge bowl. Whisk until light and fluffy. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chorizo to a large pan over medium-high heat. Cook, breaking up with a spoon, until browed, about 5 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to tansfer the chorizo to a plat, leaving the grease inthe pan.
- Return the pan to the stove and add the potatoes. Cook without moving until the pottoes begin to form a golden brown rust on the bottom, about 8 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown and cooked through.
- Pour the egg mixture into the pan and add the chorizo. Cook, stirring constantly,, until the eggs are set. This should only take 2-3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup of the egg and chorizo mixture onto the center of a tortilla. Top with a little salsa and some cheese. Wrap up the burrito. Repeat with remining ingredients.
- Sear each burrito for 3-5 seconds per side in a hot pan or directly on the burner.
- Let cool completely, then wrap in plastic wrap or foil to freeze.
- To reheat from frozen: Wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave for 4-5 minutes. If thawed, microwave 60-90 seconds until heated through.