This single-serving baked oats recipe will get your day started on the right foot. It only takes minutes to make this warm, cozy breakfast that will keep you going all morning long.
- Make it in the microwave! The oats take just 2-3 minutes to “bake” in the microwave. (I’ve included oven instructions too in case you don’t have one, but it will take longer.)
- Taste like a warm muffin. Cake for breakfast? Yes, please!
- Make a single serving – or more! It’s easy to scale this recipe up or down as needed.
A single serving breakfast recipe that’s ready in minutes
We’ve officially reached the time of year when it’s cold and dark when I wake up in the morning. I don’t know about you, but I’m not a fan.
I’m not a morning person as it is, and in the fall and winter it can be even more of a struggle to get out the door on time.
The last thing I want to do is spend my precious minutes in the morning making breakfast. Which means usually I rush out with just coffee. (A lot of coffee.)
But breakfast is important to keep you going and these cranberry baked oats are great for those sleepy mornings when you want something healthy to start your day.
The cranberry-orange flavor is one of my favorites, and these bakes oats taste just like a warm muffin.
And they’re quick! You can make this recipe in the time it takes to brew a pot of coffee. So no matter how much time (or energy) you have in the morning, this baked oatmeal will keep your head above water.
The ingredient list for these baked oats is a little longer than usual for my recipes, but they’re almost all simple pantry items.
To make them, you’ll need:
- Apple sauce. A lot of baked oat recipes use banana as a binder, but that can be an overpowering flavor. For this recipe, I used applesauce which adds a subtle sweetness but not much flavor.
- Milk. whole milk, oat milk, almond milk — whatever you have in the fridge will work! I used unsweetened almond milk here.
- Oats. You’ll need old fashioned rolled oats or quick oats for this to work. You can also use oat flour (which makes it even easier and eliminated the need for a blender – just mix and pour!) Don’t attempt making it with steel cut oats.
- Orange zest. You can use fresh or dried orange zest. In a pinch, 1/8 teaspoon of orange extract also works well!
- Cranberries. Fresh or frozen! Avoid dried cranberries, which are too chewy.
- Maple syrup. For sweetness.
- Eggs and Baking powder. These ingredient provide lift so your oats are nice and fluffy.
You’ll also need a small, microwavable baking dish, like an 8 ounce ramekin, or a coffee mug.
You can also stir in a tablespoons of chopped walnuts or chocolate chips before baking for a different variation. If you’d like, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract to the blended oat mixture for a slightly sweeter flavor.
How to make baked oats
- Prepare the baking dish by misting it lightly with cooking spray.
- Blend the oats along with all of the other ingredients, except the cranberries. Pour the oat mixture. into the dish.
- Stir in the cranberries. blended oats.
- Cook in the microwave or oven. You’ll know they’re done when the top is lightly browned and the edges pull away from the sides of the dish.
Baked oatmeal is a delicious breakfast recipe that went viral on tiktok about a year ago. It’s a simple blend of oats, eggs, and other wholesome ingredients that you bake in the oven or microwave like a little cake.
Allow the oatmeal to cool, then cover it with plastic wrap. You can keep it in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. Eat it cold, or pop it into the microwave to reheat it.
Yes! It’s packed with protein and fiber and sweetened naturally with fruit and just a touch of maple syrup.
The texture of baked oatmeal is like a soft, fluffy cake so you’ll want to use a fork or spoon to eat it. I like to top mine with a little bit of whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon to make it extra fun.
Other recipes you might like:
- Spiced Applesauce Bread
- Make-Ahead Breakfast Burritos
- Blackberry Yogurt Parfait
- Pumpkin Spice Overnight Oats
- Mini Puff Pastry Quiche
- Protein Powder Mug Cake
Cranberry Orange Baked Oats for One
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup milk
- ¼ cup apple sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- ⅛ cup fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Spray an 8 ounce ramekin or coffee mug with cooking spray.
- Add the oats, apple sauce, egg, syrup, baking powder, and salt to a blender. Blend until smooth, about 1 minute.
- Pour the oat mixture into your prepared baking dish. stir in cranberries and orange zest.
- Microwave for 2-3 minutes, or until the top is set and the edges start to pull away from the sides of the dish.